Robotech: The Lost Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robotech: The Lost Universe

We celebrate the original 85, comics & novels and believe TSC does not exist.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Analyzing Exedore's Character in the Non-TV Series Novels (really damn long essay)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
incisivis
Haydonite
incisivis

Analyzing Exedore's Character in the Non-TV Series Novels (really damn long essay) Empty
PostSubject: Analyzing Exedore's Character in the Non-TV Series Novels (really damn long essay)   Analyzing Exedore's Character in the Non-TV Series Novels (really damn long essay) EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Analyzing Exedore's Character in the Non-TV Series Novels

Having your enjoyment of a work depend on the treatment of a single minor character is pretty strange, but that might be the only way you can describe what happened to me, though I still believe I take other factors into account.

Exedore Formo is my favourite character in both the Robotech and Macross universes, and unfortunately, both of their canonical continuations do a terrible job with him. The canonical continuations of Robotech, the Shadows continuity, have an Exedore that gets inexplicably drawn to look like an elderly human and dies in a military testing accident, with the only confirmation of his death being the line, “No survivors” before the narrative moves on.

It’s been strongly suggested that this was due to legal rights issues, but that doesn’t excuse it, or his bad character design. (though that might have been done for legal purposes, too), or that so little was done with the small space available to make something of his fate.

The official Macross continuity was better in that Exedore got to live beyond the original series and even be a secondary character in another TV series, but he was redesigned into something completely unfamiliar (which I’ve taken to calling “Neo-Exsedol”), put into a ridiculous physical position, had his character growth stopped dead, and became a more subdued, duller character.

Rescue came in an extremely unexpected form: the Robotech novels, (written by Brian Daley and James Luceno, under the pseudonym Jack McKinney, hence why I refer to the novels’ internal continuity as “the McKinneyverse”) which everyone loathed as this huge perversion of everything Robotech, both in terms of characters and the laws of its internal universe. But the fans who said this forgot to mention that that the non-TV series novels contained a handling of Exedore’s post-Macross character which actually didn’t suck. It wasn’t perfect, but damn did it feel good after the canonical sources had let me down.

The novel’s segments based on the TV series offer nothing new to him, but their version of the failed sequel Robotech II: The Sentinels are a real prize. The older Sentinels comics followed the novels to an extent, and have isolated, original moments that show Exedore’s character in a good light, but it’s the novels which are the most complete and contain the best examples.

Like everything else with Exedore, his character growth in the McKinneyverse takes place behind the scenes, out of the way of the main storyline, but still manages to shine through if you’re looking for it. To this day I don’t know how this even happened, but it did.

In fact, it’s fair to say that Exedore’s handling in the McKinneyverse is one of the few unreservedly good post-Macross fates for a character in any continuity. The more “mainstream” characters have fates that can be argued or have been left open-ended, but there’s little to argue against in terms of the novels being better for Exedore than the canon versions.

In a nutshell, I felt that the character of Exedore was changing by the end of the series, his emotional range increasing, an alteration more subtle than Miriya or Rico/Bron/Konda, but still important to emphasizing the Zentraedi transition. Since Exedore was also the character that I empathized the most with, it only made sense that I desired to see his character development taken further. The novels gave me that.

As to the rest of the Sentinels novels’ material, I’ve got reservations on it, but there’s few things that I really dislike. The feeling in most cases is one of lost or half-heartedly-exercised potential, not a total desecration of all things RT. Where their other biggest failures are is in not also creating a good follow-up narrative for the popular Macross characters, in never creating any compelling personalities for its new characters, and failure to clarify several details, as well as general continuity and writing errors.

Still, for some reason I can handle all that and it’s a pretty fun ride.

Anyway, starting with the first Sentinels novel, The Devil’s Hand (#14 in the total novel series), while we contend with Exedore’s Sentinels character design. It is not an artefact of the McKinneyverse alone, but the McKinneyverse provides a clear explanation for it:

Leonard's hatred of the Zentraedi was no secret among the general staff. He had never met Exedore full-size, as it were, but perhaps detested him even more in his Micronized state, especially since Terran cosmologists had gone to work on him, styling his hair with a widow's peak, and concealing the clone's dwarfish anatomy beneath specially-tailored uniforms. (Analyzing Exedore's Character in the Non-TV Series Novels (really damn long essay) 85245

Sentinels 2: Dark Powers

Exedore was less the frog-eyed, misshapen dwarf he had once been, thanks to Human biosurgery and cosmetic treatments. It seemed to make people more at ease in his presence, but other than that it meant little to him. (13)

Neo-Exsedol is also explained as a modification in a DVD liner note, but the issue is a lot more confusing with him: because of how different his design is, a more detailed explanation should have occurred, and as the series progresses, the evidence is much stronger for Neo-Exsedol being a retcon instead of a modification, though he’s not officially defined as either.

But because Sentinels Exedore still retains some familiar visual traits and there is nothing to muddle the issue, one is satisfied with a brief note about his change in appearance.

And not particularly caring about his ugliness seems exactly like something the Exedore from canon would not do. Whichever of the guys who wrote this, they knew their stuff. It’s easy to imagine the Zentraedi, without concept of love or sex, culturally suppressed, would have their awareness of beauty turned off. But even when that changed, Exedore is too pragmatic to care if he is “ugly” or not, as long as he is well-groomed and can do his job.

Already things are looking promising, but the emotional growth of Exedore is what sustains my interest. It begins here with the revelation of just who exactly Cabell, the Tirolian techno-sage, actually is.

Lang started to reply, but Exedore's late entry interrupted him. The Zentraedi ambassador apologized and seated himself at the table between Lang and General Edwards, who was plainly disturbed by Exedore's arrival. Rick had the transmission replayed for Exedore's benefit and waited for his evaluation.

Exedore was silent for a long moment. "I...hardly know what to say," he began. Rick had never seen the Zentraedi so, well, moved.

"Cabell," Exedore uttered. "He was a contemporary of Zor, a mentor, I think you would say. And to me, as well. He...he
made me." (The Devil’s Hand 131-132)

Right away the interest comes; what kind of impact will this have on the character? Obviously something, since, after being asked if someone would be faking Cabell’s distress message, Exedore breaks his usual pragmatism and says, “No one would use the name of Cabell to evil purpose, Admiral. Of this much I am certain.” (132).

Exedore turns out to be right, and Cabell becomes a recurring character in the series. There’s no deep analysis into Cabell and Exedore’s relationship. Though explicit father-son overtones wouldn’t fit either character (although the more I look at Cabell’s design, the more he resembles Sentinels Exedore with eyebrows and a beard, and sometimes Cabell displays a harsh side that reminds me of Exedore’s own), I think more could have been done with the idea, and more of the characters’ past explored.

Still, knowing what they are, it’s cool to see the two scientists become close workers and confidants, right up until the moment in End of the Circle where the two are prepared to sacrifice themselves and the new Protoculture Matrix in order to thwart the actions of the demigod Haydon.

It is during this scene that we get an uncommonly powerful incident of self-reflection from Exedore, but one which has been a long time in the making.

"You're correct, of course." Exedore clapped Cabell on the back tiredly. Strange and sad that things should end this way.

And an end it would be, since neither of them could sur¬vive this last-ditch effort to thwart Haydon's scheme. Exedore thought of the Micronian stories: Sampson in the temple, Horatio at the bridge. Exedore and Cabell at the Second Gen matrix would outdo all of those.

Cabell had brought forth two protective faceplates, hand¬ing one to Exedore. "Here you are, my dear fellow."

Exedore accepted his, slipping it on. "You know, Cabell, I still maintain that one of us can in all likelihood carry out this, er, procedure. There is thus no reason for you to make this sacrifice."

"Now, now. We've been all over this, old friend. There's no guarantee that one operator could balance the induction field and simultaneously calibrate the integration mixture. And it's far too late to automate the process. No, that just won't do-otherwise I'd have insisted you leave."

Exedore shook his head, settling the faceplate into place. Strange how, so late in his long years, he had become friends with such an odd assortment of beings: Micronians, Senti¬nels, even a Clone of Zor himself. And Cabell, who was a companion and kindred soul, rather than the master his po¬sition would once have required him to be.
(End of the Circle, 286)

Fortunately, Exedore does not die during this incident, and neither does the universe. The storyline can be faulted for then not showing exactly where Exedore ends up, but it’s a life of apparent peace. The final word on Exedore comes in the very (chronological) end of the Robotech series, a long piece of exposition made to be an excerpt from a book written by Lisa Hayes.

Looking back over this manuscript, I see there's no way I can fit in every detail.

Such as: that boisterous exploratory tour Exedore and Cabell took, the pink-haired Lantas mother-henning them, here on Earth
[...] (328).

Lantas is a character introduced earlier in End of the Circle. She is part of the clone race from the second series which makes up Robotech, but had no direct equivalent in the animation.

There was a rapping at the open door: Lantas, Cabell's new student and research assistant since her return aboard the ship commandeered by Dana Sterling and the 15th ATACs. She was the last surviving member of a Scientist triumvirate, a bright and energetic young woman, her hair a mass of pink ringlets. She had adopted a protective, almost proprietary attitude toward Cabell and Exedore, making them the missing members of a new triumvirate.

Now, though, Lantas looked young and frightened. “The Captains of the local group are here.”
(242)

Lantas’ role in End of the Circle is restricted to these two scenes, but a while after reading this, I was suddenly hit with the urge to become an Exedore/Lantas shipper.

The idea is all me, of course, and it was never the authors’ intention, but the convergence of elements in the McKinneyverse where what started the wheels turning.

In addition to introducing a female scientist who is already said to be protective of Exedore, and putting the character at a point where his emotionality is being increased bit by bit, the McKinneyverse also hints that Exedore is starting to have such thoughts. From the fifth Sentinels novel, Rubicon:

Breetai grunted and folded his thick arms across his chest, his half-cowl skullplate reflecting amber light into the hold. He was dressed in tight-fitting trousers and a Zentraedi campaign cloak adorned with REF insignia patches. Seated beside him and similarly attired was former Quadrono, Kazianna Hesh, Breetai's mate.

Exedore couldn't get over the two of them, sitting there like living-room hosts. He was aware of just how far he had moved away from his own conditioning; but there were areas where Breetai had surpassed him, emotional realms he might never experience. He was glad for his former commander nonetheless, and in some ways envied him his newfound treasure.
(25-26)

The relationship between Breetai and Exedore is another point at which I feel the McKinneyverse has become the heaviest influence on my view of the characters. Like Exedore’s change, it was a bond suggested in the series, but on followed upon in the novels.

In the canonical Robotech continuations, the two characters are briefly re-introduced and then they are quickly and unceremoniously killed. In the Macross continuity, Breetai and Exedore (Usually romanized as “Britai” and “Exsedol”) are, post-original series, operating at different points in the galaxy. Exsedol left with the colony fleet, while Britai is never seen again, but source material says he is still operating near Earth as commander of the human forces.

While neither character would have ever turned down their duties in the name of sentimentality, and it was a long time after the original series that the colony fleet left, the more developed friendship between the characters in the McKinneyverse is much more attractive.

Continuing the scene from Rubicon:

"Yes, m'lord," he continued after a pause. "Commander Grant is taking the Tokugawa, and I will be accompanying him. I proceed in the hope of finding some solution to our dilemma on Haydon IV. All my studies suggest that that world holds the answers."

Breetai showed him a tolerant smile. "It's a Human talent you've perfected-this quest for cause and effect. But I'm afraid we are created of different stuff, my friend. I was made to act and react, and so I shall."

"Perhaps;" Exedore allowed, eyeing the two of them. "But battle and warfare need not be your only pursuit, m'lord. We have not thrown off the Masters' yoke simply to wear another's." He approached the balcony rail and looked up into Breetai's rugged face. "Let the REF wage its own fight against Edwards. Why involve yourselves in this-especially when that course leads to Optera?"

Breetai patted Kazianna's thigh and stood up. "Answers, Exedore."

"Maybe we are not so different." Breetai nodded his head once.

Exedore hesitated, then said, "I have misgivings, m'lord."

"The same you had when we volunteered for Fantoma, no doubt. The same you had when we left with the ore. It is another Human talent, an eye for the future I seem to lack." He touched the eyelike cabochon of his alloy prosthesis. "It has been a circular route for us, Exedore, our search for Earth, our return to Tirol and Fantoma's mines. And Optera is the final arc of that journey-a necessary one, I think."

Exedore bowed his head, overcome in a way that was new to him. He understood what Optera represented, more than he cared to admit; but he didn't know what to do with the feelings Breetai's decision had stirred up. "It is difficult for me, m'lord. I...I will miss you."

Breetai fell silent.

"And I you, my friend," he said at last.
(26-27)

The difference between the two characters as highlighted here, being much more complex than brains v brawn, is great to read. Breetai cares little for scientific or poetic contemplations: he is there to act. But both characters possess intelligence and awareness, and one gets the sense that neither of their attitudes is considered inferior to the other’s.

And there has been the subtle sense, all throughout the Sentinels novel series, that Breetai and Exedore are growing apart. Both of the characters do not dwell on it, because it is not in their natures. However, the reader can’t miss that the two Zentraedi, once working side by side (for a very long time, according to the novels’ timeline), are now, though still allies, not as joined at the hip as they once were.

For instance, Exedore is now the Zentraedi ambassador full-time, after becoming that in the TV series. He wears a human uniform (whether the Robotech Defence Force or the Robotech Expeditionary Force), is at human size, and interacts with humans. Even if he couldn’t ever be mistaken for human, this sense of assimilation is unmistakable.

Breetai, though an ally of the humans, seems to keep his own counsel, and by book 2 of the Sentinels is in charge of an ore-mining mission on Fantoma. It’s solely a Zentraedi mission, and all the Zentraedi except for Exedore and Miriya are under Breetai’s command for it. Even before this actual mission, it’s clear that the Zentraedi have formed a “cadre”, as the novel says, being their own separate, allied squadron rather than merely an extension of humanity.

The miner-Zentraedi eventually end up rebelling against the corrupt General Edwards, and that makes up its own short subplot. Before the rebellion begins, Breetai asks the Micronized Exedore to join him on the act. Exedore politely declines, and one has the sense that they have already been set on different paths.

Breetai leaned closer to the balcony railing to regard his Micronized friend. "We are free of all imperatives now, Exedore. The Zentraedi will follow none but their own. Will you join us?"

Exedore bowed his head. "Commander, you honor me. But I, too, have an inner imperative."

Breetai mulled it over, then nodded. "I understand, my friend."
(Death Dance, 159-160)

Even if they don’t brood on it, both characters do display some awareness of what is happening, and the writers do introduce some negative feelings on the part of both. Restored to his original size and pondering the world of Fantoma, Breetai reflects that:

There were only two Zentraedi from those days still alive, the ultimate survivors, and Exedore was now a happily diminutive little Human. The thought was unkind, but he couldn't help it; only Breetai was left. (Dark Powers, 179)

And Exedore later reflects on his own various transformations, ending with an important phrase:

How far he had come from the directed, purposeful nature of the Imperative! he would catch himself thinking. Feeling as remote from that now as his recontoured physical self was from the genetic vats that had conceived him. Normalized in both size and aspect and drained of the conquering urge, the compulsion to obey without question. Given to metaphysical ponderings. How un-Zentraedi, indeed! And how Great Breetai would have mocked him! (End of the Circle, 15-16)

So they do possess some understanding of what has happened, but do not use it as a pretext to completely sever the tie that they had. It’s also possible to read Exedore’s last line in the quote above as fondly ironic rather than insecure, especially given that Breetai is already dead by that point.

There are several ways in which the slow division of Exedore and Breetai is underlined symbolically. The first is that it coincides with Breetai finding a “mate”, a female Zentraedi named Kazianna Hesh, who has in fact been watching him from afar for years, despite the forbidden nature of intra-sexual contact among their people.

While I don’t believe Exedore ever felt anything more than friendship for Breetai, it’s true that people can feel that once their friends are “paired off” that the dynamics of youth have changed, as they take different life paths. And though physically adults, the Zentraedi are certainly children learning maturity.

Then there is the fact that Exedore is going to remain permanently Micronized, as noted in Dark Powers, the second Sentinels novel (#14 in the series overall).

Breetai nodded, suddenly solemn. "But don't fear, my friend: when there's no more need for you on the SDF-3, you'll rejoin us at your true size!"

Exedore's first impulse was to shake his head and tell his friend and master the truth. The sizing chamber had given up the ghost, as the Humans would say. That's all she wrote! Why did human soldiers use that wording? Exedore had never investigated the matter. What's that other phrase? "The last hurrah!"

Hurrah?

But Breetai was in high spirits, and no amount of agonizing could change what Exedore read from his instruments. The sizing chamber would never work again.

The Zentraedi miners, Breetai, and Exedore would remain as they were forever.

Exedore, looking away from his lord to the huge panorama of Fantoma hanging there in the sky, hid his despair. He would never stand by his lord's shoulder again; he was forever Micronized, an insect by Zentraedi standards.

Exedore braced himself, smiled up at his lord, as brave as any samurai. "One or two things to attend to, my lord." He grinned. "And then, I shall be my true size."
(Dark Powers, 48-49)

The scene does ring a bit false at this point in the storyline. It’s hard to believe that the Robotech Masters wouldn’t have kept a few sizing chambers in storage, or at least kept the plans for building another one somewhere on Tirol.

But by the end of the novels’ narrative, Protoculture is absent from the universe and that was the Robotech method by which Zentraedi achieved their original giant size and size-switching, and Exedore’s conclusions are no longer premature, a truth that remains unspoken.

But that Exedore may seem rash in his pessimism at first doesn’t take away from the poignancy of that moment. Exedore faces it with an aplomb that seems perfectly in-character for him, and elevates the character from being merely entertaining to being respectable. Zentraedi may not be stereotypical Proud Warrior Race Guys (thank god), but the suggestion that Exedore possesses his own sense of bravery, of integrity, is wonderful.

It might also be that Exedore, however “objective” he tries to be, feels the subconscious truth of his disconnection with the other Zentraedi, and his insistent and growing preference for Micronized life, and so “forgets” that this might not be the only sizing chamber around, making a big deal about it to himself in order to justify his change. Breetai’s private observation about Exedore being “happily diminutive” might also suggest this.

But freed of all the theories and symbols, Exedore and Breetai finally part ways in the most permanent way possible: Breetai dies in battle against the Invid Regent. Another side of Exedore’s character is displayed when he hears of his death:

Exedore had himself exhibited a novel talent upon hearing the news. He had cried. There had already been laughter, love, and song.

But now a Zentraedi had been moved to tears. (Rubicon, 121)

While it’s a little far-fetched to say that Exedore was the first Zentraedi to cry (I can’t imagine Rico, Bron, and Konda not crying at hearing about the deaths of their girlfriends), it’s still a great moment, and one that feels right at this point in the storyline, though it would have been very out of character for TV series Exedore.

In addition to his emotional growth, the McKinneyverse Exedore also plays a key role in figuring out what the history and events in the novels universe are leading up to, and is held in fairly high esteem and respect by most characters. But giving him such purpose is just the icing on the cake.

However, though these Sentinels novels make Exedore come across as noble, maybe even sweet, a later book, though chronologically taking place before The Sentinels, posits a much darker side to the character.

The Zentraedi Rebellion was adapted from, and greatly expanded on, the original comic series The Malcontent Uprisings by Bill Spangler (something that can be seen in the novel’s sudden adoption of Zentraedi surnames and of what I call “Spangler Speak”, Bill’s own version of the Zentraedi tongue). Both the comic and the novel chronicle the Zentraedi backlash against humans, with Jonathan Wolff and Max and Miriya Sterling as central characters. It’s a grimmer, grimier, grittier take on Robotech than the norm.

In the original comics version of the story, Exedore only appears at the very end, in a non-speaking role. However, in The Zentraedi Rebellion Exedore appears several times, usually just to provide theories and exposition.

But sometimes the novel throws a curve ball, replacing Exedore’s usual neutral accounts with a highly harsh and cynical commentary. Probably the most shocking line comes from a conversation between Exedore and Rick about the possibility of human and Zentraedi co-existence what with all the terrible rebellions going on. Exedore is the pessimist, Rick is the optimist.

“They seek nothing more than chaos,” Exedore said. “There can be no answering the demands of the Imperative, no lasting peace. Especially between such warlike races.”

Rick tensed, “Exedore, I’m getting sick and tired of hearing that line from you. We are not programmed for war.”

The ambassador inclined his head ever so slightly. “I’m sorry to say so, Admiral, but it is my belief that you simply answer to different masters than we do. Yours are within yourselves, a product of your upbringing, your animal ancestry and the flight-or-fight chemicals bequeathed to you by millions of years of hunting for food.”

Rick shook his head. “What about Miriya Parino? She’s overcome the Imperative. Even the UEG considers her acculturated and what about you and Breetai and the others aboard the factory? If three hundred can do it, five thousand can.”

“It’s true that some of us have been able to keep the Imperative in check, Admiral. But I would never presume to say for how long. More importantly, Miriya Parino Sterling seems to be a special case--wthe one you might term the exception to the rule. She has even produced an offspring. As for the rest, no exposure to human emotions could efface the Imperative. You own Admirals Gloval and Hayes agreed with me, not only about the similiarities of our warlike natures, but in regard to the odds against achieving any lasting peace. If memory serves, Gloval quouted the odds as, ‘nothing short of astronomical’.”

“Gloval wasn’t right about everything,” Rick countered. “He speculated that the Zentraedi had fought among themselves early on, and you yourself have said that’s wrong.

Exedore nodded. “Yes, Zor’s documents make no mention of internecine warfare among my people. But that’s all the more reason to fear us now. Shamed by defeat, we are easily swayed by the latent force of the Imperative. The Masters made sure that we were familiar with shame. Shame was encoded into us to act as an incentive for seeking revenge on those who shamed us.”

“What do you see as the solution, Exedore?” Reinhardt asked disconsolately.

The Zentraedi thought for a long moment, then said, “If I were in your position, I would have all Zentraedi executed.”
(88-89).

Now, the basic idea of there being a colder, harsher side to Exedore is a good one. By demonstrating that he is not perfect, Exedore becomes more three-dimensional. But the way this possibility is handled leaves a lot to be desired.

That notion of a “darker” side to Exedore has its roots in the original TV series: Remember that moment in the TV series when the important members of the brass are discussing humankind’s potential for war? Exedore gets angry at Rick, apparently because Rick is undertaking an “emotional” argument against the assumption that fighting is an inevitable part of human existence. In The Zentraedi Rebellion the characters play out that same battle, years later.

But Exedore’s attitude seems more extreme in The Zentraedi Rebellion than in the TV series, and the way Exedore speaks suggests some kind of personal investment, even a possible self-hatred, not merely reporting the facts but being really angry with something, especially when you consider that in the TV series, before Dolza’s attack on Earth, Exedore was one of the first to believe that there was a way to win against Dolza after all.

Another moment that stands out is when a traitor to the human-friendly Zentraedi forces is discovered and his plan is thwarted. Here, Exedore seems to turn his harshness against the attempt at war rather than the attempt at peace. So which side is he on? Once again, I argue that it looks like Exedore has some kind of actual feeling towards what’s happening, if he is letting things influence him to the degree that he can get rather vicious about it.

Exedore cleared his throat. “Allow me to describe what you would be hearing if vacuum didn’t prevent the transmission of sonic waves: the sounds of your heavy work drones and EVA vehicles exploding. The agonized sounds of your confederates in the moments before death. The sound of your dreams being torn asunder.”

Elmikk went slack in Breetai’s fingertip hold.

“Your apparent self-deception notwithstanding,” Exedore continued, “what made you think you had sufficient vigor to command a flagship?”
(268)

It’s tantalizing, in a way. The writer (James Luceno now operating alone) could have been setting up a really great thing here. Good writers sometimes need to hurt their characters, bring them to the breaking point so that their character can be tested.

But much is left unsaid. The reason for Exedore’s anger is never explained or explored. He is there only to provide the Voice of Doom, right up until his last line in the book.

“Soon you won’t have to rely on imaginings, Commander,” Lang said in a paternal voice. He glanced at Exedore. “How will it feel to be returning home?”

“My mind is also stubbornly silent on that issue, doctor. I should point out, however, that the Zentraedi have never, and probably will never, associate Tirol with pleasant images. To you, home connotes acceptance, and warmth of feeling. But as you will see for yourselves, Tirol is neither warm nor accepting. I will be surprised if the Masters so much as deign to recognize us, let alone entertain our entreaties for peace.”
(369)

This is in stark contrast to the Sentinels Exedore, whose first line in the Sentinels novel series is “I want to take this opportunity to reemphasize that the Robotech Expeditionary Force is intended as a diplomatic mission," (The Devil’s Hand, 7) Of course Exedore’s not the sort to let his emotions show, but even when not at the diplomatic podium, there’s no sign that the Exedore of The Sentinels has such a grim opinion of Tirol as he did in The Zentraedi Rebellion.

The problem is not that this side to Exedore is shown. The problem is that the narrative doesn’t deal with it adequately. There are no consequences, no exploration, no reprisals in relation Exedore’s words. His infamous line about Zentraedi execution especially should have been dealt with.

As bad as the harshness is, the sense of passivity implied in Exedore is just as problematic and in need of confrontation. No matter how cynically Exedore puts it or how shocking his statement, that’s what his line about Zentraedi execution, and many others, amounts to. One would think Exedore would be a little less spineless; no matter how much I like the character otherwise, reading these lines makes me want to slap him.

Exedore’s pessimism and suggested anger could have been used as a springboard to show the transition between the gloomy Exedore at the end of the TV series, and the Exedore of The Sentinels; the way he acts in The Zentraedi Rebellion would have made a great “darkest before the dawn” scenario if played out properly. The Zentraedi Rebellion was published after the Sentinels books, so it’s been established that Exedore becomes much more than what he is in The Zentraedi Rebellion, yet the narrative doesn’t take the opportunity.

Still, if The Zentraedi Rebellion is the nadir of Exedore’s portrayal in the McKinneyverse, both in what he says and how the narrative fails to explore it in detail, at least it makes you feel something, and there are salvageable aspects to it. It can’t dampen the rest of what’s happened.

Often I’ve entertained the notion that the McKinneyverse is what really made an Exedore fangirl out of me, even if that’s not where he originated from. To be truly significant to me, part of my A-list, a character has to have a sense of a completed arc, not merely some potential. In the face of that need, the other flaws of the novels, and their apocryphal status don’t count for much.
Back to top Go down
http://incisivis.livejournal.com

Analyzing Exedore's Character in the Non-TV Series Novels (really damn long essay)
Page 1 of 1