Robotech: The Lost Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robotech: The Lost Universe

We celebrate the original 85, comics & novels and believe TSC does not exist.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Freeman Chronicles (links to complete PDFs)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Basara549
invid shock trooper
Basara549

The Freeman Chronicles (links to complete PDFs) Empty
PostSubject: The Freeman Chronicles (links to complete PDFs)   The Freeman Chronicles (links to complete PDFs) EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 12:49 pm

The Freeman Chronicles

The Freeman Chronicles (links to complete PDFs) Mzone21b

The Story Behind The Story
The Freeman Chronicles began in 1988, as a way to kill time while ill in the Army (specifically, in the reception battalion at Fort Knox in November in 1988). Of course, the illness ended my army career before it began, so I found myself with lots of free time. Originally, it was the novelization of my RPG campaign, which had covered the malcontent era of 2015-2020 by the time I enlisted.

1989 saw my completion of the Southern Cross arc, and the 1-night gaming session that covered the entire Sentinels era as seen through the eyes of Scott Freeman. During this period, I continued writing, as I was threated with bodily harm, should I quit. By 1990, we were playing the Invid (TV) era (I didn't believe in the RPG second invasion any more than most fans), and I had caught up to the RPG's setting in my writing. This gave me the chance to go back and write a real treatment of the Sentinels era.

Finally, 1991 held the conclusion of the true Robotech arc of the RPG and the fanfic, which at that time consisted of 4 books of exactly 250 pages each, each book consisting of 4 parts (weird, huh?). This scared me so much, I went back in my first rewrite (in the period 1992 through 1994) and expanded the story to 18 parts spread over 5 books. Even weirder is that I didn't even have an end for the story or the RPG campaign in mind in 1991 until I had a particularly vivid dream one night, involving a certain green haired half-Zentraedi guiding me through the end of the story, in which all became clear to me. Plot elements I had written, seemingly unconnected, suddenly clicked together in a crystal clear unity, and I had the plot resolution I was looking for. To this day, I sometimes wonder about the definition of the word "Muse", and if there really is something to it ("Any one of the nine sister goddesses in Greek mythology, presiding over song, and poetry, and the arts and do you believe me now, Sonny?" - Sonny, reading the dictionary entry of Muse in the movie Xanadu, at the behest of Kira, the Muse)

I first started typing in this monstrosity during this period, on an Atari 130XE computer, but after completing the first four parts (Book One) in 1994, some idiot stole the computer (not the peripherals, or even the POWER SUPPLY!) thinking it was my prototype Atari Jaguar. Finally, that fall at Eastern Kentucky University, I found a scanner in the computer labs that could handle the existing dot-matrix printouts, and converted to them to relatively modern computer formats. Since then, I've typed, edited, retyped and enhanced the story, completing Book Two in 1996 and Book Three in 1998, going through several computers in the meantime. The creation of the independent fanfics above and some really odd work schedules cut down on my work on Book Four in 1998-2005, but by 2007, I'd finally moved on to a much more comprehensive rewrite of Parts 15 (the last part of Book Four) and Part 16 (the first part of Book Five), in spurts between customers at a drive-through cigarette store. Now that I have a new laptop, and I'm unemployed again for the moment, I should be able to finally find time to work on the long-delayed sequels (As I do most of my fanfic typing either away from home, or in bed). My old laptop was so decrepit that when I got it as a hand-me-down, it only ran on AC power, and required connecting external mouse and keyboard to be useful). I tend to be too busy on my desktop playing Ultima Online or various games on Facebook (feel free to add me there; I can always use new family members for Mafia Wars and Mobsters 2).

One of the end results of the constant rewriting over the last 20 years is that I've found out a LOT more about Robotech than I originally knew (given that I'd not even SEEN more than a couple dozen episodes, and had acquired the comics and novels for the rest in 1988, that's not hard), and much of this new knowledge has worked its way into the rewrites. Over the years, I've gone out of my way to be true to the story as much as possible, while incorporating parts of other Robotech stories I've liked that don't conflict with the new knowledge or the events of those RPG sessions long ago. These range from the novels (though I've toned these down in light of how far they were from the original story), comics, and RPG, to even a few references to the events of the stillborn Robotech Nintendo 64 game. Unlike others, I don't let my attempts to get to depths of Robotech "canon" (if there can be such a thing) get in the way of a good story that by its nature, goes its own way from those discoveries.

Oh, and speaking of music, you can probably tell from my book and part titles that music was a very big influence on the fic, and defining the characters. Later on, if I can dig it up, I'll post a list of songs that influenced the fanfic, or seemed to fit perfectly with it (if the song came out after the story was finally typed).

The Freeman Chronicles, Book One
Wherein the Freeman family is introduced and expands, to the backdrop of the Malcontent Wars. Warning: By the end of Part One, MAJOR changes occur that deviate this saga from Robotech canon. This section, relatively unchanged for over 12 years, will probably get a revision sometime before the end of 2010.
Agents of Change

Part One: Through the Looking Glass
2016: A salvage mission to the moon is complicated by a treasonous plot overheard beforehand, and the fruition of it experienced in an unforeseen manner during their sojurn from home.

Part Two: Tell me the Secret
Scott Freeman becomes an uncle to a very special girl, who procedes to turn his life on its ear when she and Dana are kidnaped. All this, and deep mysteries from the past of Earth.

Part Three: Strange Days, Indeed!
Facing the revelations and tribulations of the last 16 months, Scott has to deal with an enemy willing to kill thousands just to get at him, and the perils of an unparalleled romance. At what point does test piloting become a safer alternative than facing your feelings?

Part Four: Twist of Fate
As the RDF begins the process of preparing for the departure of the SDF-3, old enemies resurface, and as a counterpoint, older allies return. Plans are laid for the final defense of Earth, should the REF and Southern Cross fall.

The Freeman Chronicles, Book One Side Story
Songbird: The Story of Tinya Marinoni
2016: Kayra Marinoni once was known as "The Zentraedi Songbird" in the Southlands, but her pop singing career cut short by bigotry, leading to her joining the RDF, which in turn led to her eventual marriage to Shannon Freeman. Her clone-sister was also being groomed as a rock act when this happened, but Tinya chose to try to make it on her own, leading to a tragic love story that would haunt the Southern Cross for the next fifteen years. Now, believed dead, and her sister missing in space, an opportunity arises for Tinya to strike a blow for Zentraedi freedom, but to do so she has to become her sister for a mission into the lion's den. Also found as a stand-alone story on Lost Universe.

The Freeman Chronicles, Book Two
This is the saga of The Sentinels, from the viewpoint of the Freeman clan.
Nothing Ever Goes As Planned

Part Five: The Grand Illusion
Scott finds out that déjà vu only helps when it happens before the event experienced, and Karen befriends the rescued Tiresians - but for what ends?

Part Six: Fooling Yourself
In command of Green Squad, Skull Squadron, Scott and the rest of his team are vital parts of the Sentinels mission. But why is it that the Sentinels ship disturbs him, and what is it about Praxis that makes him really nervous?

Part Seven: Renegade
The escape from Praxis leads to tragedy on Garuda, and a fight for survival on Haydon IV.

Part Eight: Not Dead Yet
The enemy thought long dead resurfaces yet again, and to save the life of a friend, Karen must face certain death.

The Freeman Chronicles, Book Two Side Story
"...For Inspiration"
What do you get when you cross two middle-school-aged half-Zentraedi with a Dance Dance Revolution machine? Foreshadowing of things to come.
Also posted as a stand-alone on Lost Universe.

The Freeman Chronicles, Book Three
The Promise
As a result of the events of Book One, the roster of the 15th ATAC increases by two, with profound effects on the Second Robotech War.

Part Nine: Hopes and Dreams
Alex never wanted to be in the command structure of a combat unit - in fact, he joined the ASC for its education benefits, only to be shunted into the ATAC because his personal beliefs were too tolerant of aliens. Maybe that's why he was put into the unit Dana Sterling was to be assigned as XO (well, command position, if Sean keeps screwing up)? And what are these strange stories he keeps hearing about her having a green-haired foster sister that grew up with her and Bowie? Truth can be stranger than fiction, but what if the official "truth" behind the fiction is also bogus?

Part Ten: Who Made Who?
As the mystery around Noel Freeman deepens, Alex, Dana and Bowie have their own problems dealing with the war, including the capture of the Bioroid pilot they saw in the Macross ruins.

Part Eleven: Dancing on a High Wire
Noel comes to terms with her past, and Musica makes her decision to leave the Masters. But jealosy and betrayals hit the 15th hard once back on the ground, as the storm of the final battle of the war breaks above them in space.

Part Twelve: Exodus
The end of the Second Robotech War on Earth takes its toll, as a sacrifice is attempted to try to trade one tragedy for several. The 15th must take its caravan of clone and Southern Cross survivors southward, in an attempt to find sanctuary for them all in the face of the approaching Invid storm. But for now, one enemy wears an all too human face, and the other is the specter of death itself.

The Freeman Chronicles, Book Three Side Story
Stay With Me: The Last Temptation of Noel.
This takes place entirely within Noel's mind during the last chapters of Part Twelve, with a special guest appearance by a Tavicat character (and I don't mean Catreese, either). Noel finds that no good deed can go unpunished, according to the ancient adversary, and makes a few discoveries of her own as she faces her own end.

The Freeman Chronicles (links to complete PDFs) Part-12

The Freeman Chronicles, Book Four
Synchronicity

Part Thirteen: The Cassandra Conundrum
Scott Freeman has returned to Earth as commander of Vulcan Division - a last-ditch attempt to prepare the Earth for the Invid arrival. But even by joining forces with the survivors of the Southern Cross, this seems to be an impossible mission, especially in the light of the world disunity in the wake of the loss of the majority of the defense forces.

Part Fourteen: Hammer to Fall
The arrival of the Invid spells doom for those unfortunates not prepared, yet the human refuse that benefits from the invasion is even worse. Vulcan Division begins working toward the eventual liberation of Earth, but first they must save those not under Invid domination from that of other humans.

Part Fifteen: Into the Fire
With the arrival of Mars Division, Vulcan drops its cover, engaging a mad plan to save as many of the incoming troops as they can while beginning the liberation of Africa. Afterwards, a long range scout mission is sent to look for other Mars Division survivors at Point Kilo, and Wolfe's forces, but is lost as well...

The Freeman Chronicles, Book Four Side Story
The Ones they left Behind.

The childhood relationship between Aurora Sterling and Zor & Musi Freeman (see Book Two) sets the stage for the end of Book Five, as well as leading into "The End of the Innocence", which are the bridging stories leading from The Freeman Chronicles to the events of The Skygate Cycle and The Tales of Nazgul Squadron.

The Freeman Chronicles, Book Five:
Genesis Climbers
The Invid War, and beyond.

Part Sixteen: Final Approach
Bernard's band, increased in size by two by the events of the last book, enters North America at last, and must make its way over the Rockies in winter, in order to make it to Reflex Point in time to join the scheduled assault by the REF fleet. It is a trip of self-discovery and secrets uncovered, then kept, as the pivotal moment in history approaches. Covers the equivalent of series episodes "Midnight Sun" to "Hired Gun".

Part Seventeen: Event Horizon
As Scott Freeman leads his assault force from Africa in from the Atlantic coast, Scott Bernard must face the truth about Marlene in his trip in from New York City. The two groups meet, and face the mystery of Reflex Point as one. In doing so, they change the universe forever.

Part Eighteen: Worlds Without End
After Reflex Point, the survivors have to deal with the consequences of the last 25 years of conflict, while preparing for the search for the missing SDF-3. In the end, will love override destiny at last?

The Freeman Chronicles (links to complete PDFs) Novelbanner
Back to top Go down
http://home.kih.net/~sbundy/

The Freeman Chronicles (links to complete PDFs)
Page 1 of 1