Robotech: The Lost Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robotech: The Lost Universe

We celebrate the original 85, comics & novels and believe TSC does not exist.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Protoculture Times interview with Lynn Williams, author of Atlantech!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zen72
Zen72

The Protoculture Times interview with Lynn Williams, author of Atlantech! Empty
PostSubject: The Protoculture Times interview with Lynn Williams, author of Atlantech!   The Protoculture Times interview with Lynn Williams, author of Atlantech! EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 am

Hi everyone!

Here is the full transcript of my interview with Lynn Williams aka HappyPenguins, author of the fan fiction work Atlantech!

Enjoy! - JT

- What was your very first exposure to Robotech?

Lynn Williams: I first caught Robotech on Cartoon Networks Toonami block in 97 while channel surfing. The first episode I saw was "Farewell Big Brother", and it was right during the battle of Max and Miriya, and as I was watching I was thinking "holy shit this is awesome!" I must also say that's how Miriya became my favorite character in the first place.

- What attracted you to it?

Lynn Williams: pretty much everything right down to the cheesy narrator.

- Any specific moment from the series that sticks out?

Lynn Williams: There's a lot that stick out, but if I had to choose I'd pick the deaths of Ben & Roy. There's just something about cartoon characters actually dying, and it was something I didn't expect.

- Before we get into Atlantech, when did you actually get into writing and drawing?

Lynn Williams: Oh man where do I begin? I had been into art since I was about five or six. This was before I was serious about getting into art of course and just like any other child I had coloring books. Then from there I'd start trying to draw my favorite disney characters (thank god I threw all those away) and then when I decided to become serious with art I started learning how to draw people by copying images out of magazines. Which I might add that I am self taught all the way. Now for the writing? Not sure exactly when I started writing but I'd write stupid little short stories and share them with my family and friends. Then I'd also draw and write little comics about my pets in an anthromorphic form. Those were actually my first original characters, and I still draw them every now and then for nostalgia sake.

I didn't really take writing seriously till about my freshman year in Highschool. In one of my literature classes, we'd have story writing contests and I'd get way into those. I'd write little short horror tales (don't ask lol) and my teacher was so impressed with them, she'd tell me how much potential I had, and that I should pursue a career in writing one day. Actually a few of my teachers told me that, but I was kinda iffy about it, especially since I was more interested in art.

- Any specific people or works that have inspired you along the way?

Lynn Williams: Oh lots of different things really. History, my favorite vintage artists, films, music, and of course Robotech. Anything that fascinates me, pretty much inspires me.

- How would you define your style?

Lynn Williams: A combination of cartoon & realism. I love the cartoon style but I'm a realism nut, and prefer that style over the others.
I also have an obsession with vintage stuff such as old photos and clothing.
so you see that vintage influence in the Atlantech style as well.

- What is Atlantech in your own words?

Lynn Williams: For me? Epic insanity... The ideas are crazy but the story itself is epic. (for me anyways)

- What is the story of Atlantech about?

Lynn Williams: Atlantech is a story about humanity living in space, isolated from other worlds in their utopian society of Atlantis City, and humanity has gone such a long time without war or interacting with other beings in the universe, that they're completely unprepared when they do come into contact with an ancient race of beings called the Zyrians. Then they have the displeasure of learning that their perfect city was built over a weapon system which belonged to another race the Zyrians had conquered in the past, and they've come to claim it.

But there's more to the story, and I will explain as much as I can. Even though Atlantis city seems like the perfect paradise, it's really not, and the real war is between the military and the city council, and while humanity has lived without seeing battle, there's always been a military.
And it's the one thing the city council has no control over because it's been around long before the council or Atlantis city itself, was even founded. the AMF or (Atlantis Militia Forces) is looked down upon by the civilians of Atlantis due to many years of brainwashing by the council and the sinister chairman, Julius Caesar Morane. The people of Atlantis have been led to believe that the military is bad news and that things will never get better unless the council takes control.
So the AMF personnel have to put up with a lot of crap from the civilians and the council. But thankfully, not all of the people feel that way about them, and it's mainly just the snobs and those with an entitlement of "self importance".

- So who are the main characters?

Lynn Williams: Atlantech has a rather large cast of characters. All of them are portrayed in a realistic fashion and given a unique personality of their own. And by unique I mean as in there's certain things only that character would say, or certain ways they'd react to something.
But anyway as far as main characters go, There's Brian, who at first has an anti military attitude but for personal reasons, then there's William Sterling, a happy-go-lucky soldier who deals with the racial stance of him being a hybrid. Justin Church, a young soldier and devious gambler, Stan Winston, an android disguised as a human soldier sent by the council to spy on the AMF, Victoria Thompson, a flapperless vamp and washed up celeb who works for the council along side her snarky snob of a manager, Maxwell, plus many more.

I've really focused a lot on the characters in my universe, because character development is really important when it comes to story telling. I want them to be believable characters, like people you'd want to tag along with if you knew them in person. People who go through life's changes and everyday challenges just like everyone else. And if I must, I will admit that I've grown quite attached to these characters and the universe they live in. I truly enjoy the time I spend on this project, and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I love what I do and I'm very dedicated, but if others can also find enjoyment in it, then that makes it even better.

- How did you come up with the idea of Atlantech?

Lynn Williams: Not sure how I came up with the ideas, cause they just sorta came to me, but Robotech and scifi in general were a major part of my inspiration for creating it, but some of my major story ideas came to me while watching shows about UFOs. Especially one particular episode of "The UFO Files" about aliens and the ancient Egyptians. Another idea came from me playing the game "Bioshock". A futuristic 50's art deco style city underwater? Too cool, but of course my idea was what if there was a futuristic art deco style utopia with a 1920s/30s theme but in space? And so Atlantech was born!

- What ties, if any does it have to the Original 85?

Lynn Williams: It varies really, because with the way I have the story set up, it can stand on its own or be inserted into the Robotech Universe. However there a few ties, but I like to think of them as more of "homages" to the original series, Like homages to certain scenes of the original series. The arcade being one of them, but I haven't finished that chapter and I hate giving away spoilers.
Character and story wise, there's William Sterling, and the alien race called the "Zyrians" that are supposedly the ancient ancestors of the zentraedi. Other than that, Atlantech is a universe of its own.

- Now you write the story and draw the comic, do you have a preference. Which one is harder to do?

Lynn Williams: I don't really have a preference cause I like working on both just the same, but I would have to say the comic is harder because you have to tell the same story but with pictures, and trying to translate what you see in your head to a drawing isn't so easy. The character's expression has to reflect whats going on in a particular scene. Are they worried, mad, upset, or happy? If the expression doesn't match, the reader wont have a clue whats going on. Dialogue is also important, especially when you're trying to reflect that character's personality. Each one has their own unique personality and so what they say has to match with the type of person they are. I hope I'm making sense and not rambling on like it a nitwit lol. Now for the story part, it can be hard because I have to be in a certain mood to work on it, and a lot of the times I find myself doing re-writes especially if I don't like the way something sounds or the direction it is going. Okay, so both can be quite complicating, but I say as long as you're having fun doing it, that's all that matters.

- When people write fiction works, sometimes they can idenitfy with one or multiple characters of the same, has that occured with you?

Lynn Williams: Yes and no, but most of it has to do with what type of mood I'm in. I guess there's a tiny bit of me in all of them, but for the most part, they're nothing like me. Not even the character that's named after me lol. Speaking of that I know how some authors like to have self inserts of themselves into stories, and would assume that's what I did too, but to be honest, I'm against self inserts. I think they can ruin the story you're trying to tell because you'd be focused on yourself in the story and not the other characters. That's just what I believe of course, and it's why I do things differently.

- Is there a certain mood you have to be in to write or it just comes when it comes?

Lynn Williams: I do have to be in a certain mood to work on it, and in order to get into that mood I have to listen to music, play a game or watch something to get that inspiration.

- What are your plans for the future of Atlantech?

Nothing big really, pretty much just independent publishing for now. I'm working on putting together enough material for a comic/ art book right now. though I do hope to have enough money saved up in the future to have the entire cast made into figurines. I'm already in talks with someone who could do it.

- Now when it comes to Robotech, how do you feel about the current state of the franchise/fandom?

Lynn Williams: I think the only ones keeping the Robotech fandom alive are the fans and the fan projects. I have no hopes for the Robotech live action movie because it's been about four years since it was announced and they haven't even finished the script for the damn thing. My guess is I'll finish the entire Atlantech story before we ever see the live action Robotech movie or HG's planned animated sequel "Shadow Rising" *shudder*

But in my humble opinion, it's the fans that are the talented ones. They're the ones spreading the word and introducing others to Robotech.

- What do you think is the biggest detriment to Robotech?

Lynn Williams: lol did you really have to ask? HG's handling of the franchise of course. How many years did it take to get a sequel? Too damn many, and that sequel "The Shadow Chronicles", was a huge disappointment for me. It didn't have the feel of the original, or even make sense. Let's not forget it was cheaply made, but hey that's just like anything else HG's ever done for the series. Remember those matchbox figurines of the characters? Yeah, enough said.

- How do you feel about the fan productions for Robotech and their standing in the franchise?

Lynn Williams: I think they're great. These fans have more potential and creativity than anyone working for HG. I've read some really great fanfics and have seen some really amazing fan creations. Like I said before, it's the fans and their works keeping Robotech alive.

- And what advice would you have for people getting into writing and/or drawing fiction?

Lynn Williams: yes, of course I do. My advice is to do it for the fun of it. Art and writing are something you should enjoy, and you should always do it for yourself not to impress others. And should you encounter the deadly artist/writers block, then just look to things and others that inspire you. Draw & write all the time as well, because the more you do it and push yourself, the better you get.

- How can listeners find your work?

Lynn Williams: My work can be found on the Atlantech website
here http://www.freewebs.com/theatlantechuniverse/
(always going through updates mind you)

and if anyone has any questions, seeking advice or just wants to say hello
I can be reached at atlantech4000@yahoo.com. No love notes please!
Back to top Go down

The Protoculture Times interview with Lynn Williams, author of Atlantech!
Page 1 of 1